The video clip gives a brief overview of CMMC.
More in-depth explanation is given at our full website.
In 2013, the Chatham Marconi Maritime Center began to welcome visitors to its Museum and Education Center. The museum is located in the historic Operations Building built in 1914 by Guglielmo Marconi. The station was part of his visionary wireless network that was planned to link America with Europe and Japan.
Under the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) and known by the call letters WCC, it was the busiest ship-to-shore station on the East Coast during most of the 20th century. Not only did WCC relay vital messages to ships around the world, it also provided communications to brave aviators and bold adventurers – Charles and Anne Lindberg, Amelia Earhart and Howard Hughes. During World War II, the U.S. Navy operated the Chatham station as secret "Station C' whose mission it was to locate and intercept coded messages from enemy surface vessels and submarines, helping to win the Battle of the Atlantic.
Exhibits include videos about Marconi's life and the role of WCC in world events, an authentic shipboard radio, artifacts from important periods in WCC's history, and an opportunity for visitors to send Morse code as well as see an operational amateur radio station.